Friday, March 14, 2014

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Book Review:

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
 Released September 27th, 2011
Published by Simon and Schuster
Pages: 466
My Star Rating: 4
Goodreads Rating: 4.13
Challenges: book over 400 pages

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.-Goodreads

Michelle Hodkin's writing is a perfect mix of humour and beauty. I laughed out loud a few times while reading this book, which rarely ever happens. I enjoyed Mara as our main character. She is spunky and realistic. If I was in her shoes and people were dying all around me, I would think I were crazy too. I liked her family with the exception of her father. He really annoyed me because it seemed like he put work first. Her brothers were awesome. An issue I had with the book surrounded her younger brother. Why was he texting Noah? How did Noah know where he was taken? That whole situation was just super confusing. 

Noah is super cute. He seems like the stereotype hot guy with the big head, until we really get to know him. I loved his relationship with Mara. The back and forth banter is the best. I officially have a book crush on him. 

I enjoyed how all throughout the book, we are left in the dark just like Mara. We don't know if things are real or not. I felt like we were really able to connect with her because we were just as confused as her. My biggest issue with the story is the last hundred pages or so. Noah and Mara's relationship did not have to go to the next level so quickly. It seemed rushed. And that twist at the end was crazy. I wish it was a bit more developed, but I did really enjoy it. I couldn't put the book down. When I wasn't reading, I wanted to be. Overall, I would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a creepy, mind boggling read. I need to get the second book because the last book in the trilogy comes out some time this year.
Until next time,
Bre

No comments:

Post a Comment