Saturday, March 1, 2014



The Selection by Kiera Cass
Published by HarperCollins Teen
Released April 24th, 2012
Pages: 327
Goodreads Rating: 4.13
My Rating: 4 stars


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. -Goodreads

I went into the book not expecting a lot. When people describe something and compare it to The Bachelor my expectations automatically lower. With that being said, I was completely shocked when I became obsessed with this book. I had to know what was going to happen next. Kiera Cass did an awesome job developing the main character, America. I was very emotionally connected to her. Although at some points I wanted to karate chop her, she was still a great leading lady. I loved that she was strong and intelligent. 

Aspen on the other hand was not my favourite. He stressed me out. I could appreciate the fact that he wanted better for America. He was a lower caste, and did not think America would ever truly be happy as a Six. But when he broke up with America, I felt like he was breaking up with me. He crushed her. That's ok though because Prince Maxon was there to save the day. He was fabulous. I expected him to be more of a "badass, I can do whatever I want because I'm the prince" character. He surprised me. Maxon was sweet and just the right amount of naive. I am Team Maxon for sure. 

The world that Cass created was super interesting. I found the caste system compelling. I liked how developed the world was. The history lessons that the girls had to sit through really helped paint a picture of the country. The riots make the story even more intense. Not only do we have the Selection going on, we also have to worry about the attacks. 

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I cannot wait to get my hands on book two, The Elite. 

Until next time, 
Bre

No comments:

Post a Comment