Friday, April 4, 2014


March Wrap-Up:

Wrap-Up:
# of books in March: 5
Read in 2014: 10 books
Challenges:
Books over 400 pages in March: 2
Books over 400 pages in 2014: 4
Classics: 0
Diverse Authors in March: 1
Diverse Authors in 2014: 2

It's time to do my Wrap-Up for March. I can't believe it is already April. March flew by for me, but I did manage to read five books this month. So let's jump right in.

The first book I finished in March was
Twilight: The Graphic Novel Volume 1
By Stephenie Meyer and Young Kim
Published in 2010
My Rating: 3 stars 
Goodreads Rating: 3.63
Challenges: Diverse Author

I found this graphic novel and volume 2 at the Goodwill. It was only $2.00, so I had to pick it up. I have been in the mood for vampires. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Twilight, it was nice to dive back into the world. The drawings were beautiful. They were all black and white with the except of a little bit of colour splashed here and there. I enjoyed this, and I will be picking up volume 2 soon. 

The second book I read was
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
By Michelle Hodkin
My Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.13
Challenges: A book over 400 pages

I have already done a review for this book. You should go check it out: CLICK HERE : )

The third book I read this month was
No Place Like Oz
By Danielle Paige
Published in ebook format
Released in 2013
Pages: 125
My Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads Rating: 3.94

No Place Like Oz is a prequel novella to Dorothy Must Die. I loved this short story. It gave us a lot of insight as to why Dorothy has gone crazy. Dorothy Must Die is told from the perspective of Amy, the other girl from Kansas. No Place Like Oz is told from Dorothy's point of view. We can really relate to Dorothy until she starts losing it. I definitely recommend reading this before you pick up DMD. I'm so excited for this series. I have heard that the CW is contemplating on signing this as a tv series. WHAT?! I would love to see that happen!

The fourth book I read was
Cinder 
By Marissa Meyer
Released in January 2O12
Pages: 387
My Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.09

Cinder is a Cinderella retelling with a twist. Cinder is a cyborg who is the best mechanic in all of New Beijing. I have to say this book had me hooked. I tried to listen to the audio book sometime last year, but just couldn't get into it. Everyone really hypes up this series, The Lunar Chronicles, so I decided I needed to give it another try. I'm so glad I did. I love Cinder. I had to give it a 4 stars because I had a few minor issues. A full review is coming soon : )

The last book I finished this month is
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
By Brian Selznick
Released in 2007 
Pages: 525
My Rating: 3 stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.22
Challenges: book over 400 pages

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is a middle grade adventure story. The story is told in pictures and words. The drawings were amazing. I believe they really added to the story. I liked the idea of the story, but the characters really annoyed me. I did not care for Hugo and Georges relationship. Georges was a mean old man who owned a toy shop Hugo stole from. I felt like Georges character could have been written better, especially with the twist at the end. My biggest struggle with this book is the overarching theme of theft. Hugo steals food and toys all throughout the book because his uncle taught him how to steal. Isabella steals from her godmother, Georges wife. I understand theft is a reality for some people, but with this being a middle grade book I thought it was a bit overdone. There is a movie based on the book on Netflix called Hugo. I will have to say I enjoyed the movie more than the book. It might just be because of Chloe Moretz. I love her!

I did not finish Panic this month. I'm just going to put it down for now. I can't get into the story. It tried to put me in a reading slump, but Cinder came to save the day. I was nervous to read The Archived after Panic because I had to avoid the slump. I'm not sure if I will love The Archieved, but I had a pretty good feeling about Cinder. I will post my TBR soon.

Until next time,
Bre







No comments:

Post a Comment