Thursday, April 17, 2014

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Book 1 in The Lunar Chronicles Series
Pages: 387
My Rating: 4/5
Goodreads Rating: 4.09

Cinder is a retelling of Cinderella, but with a sci-fi twist. Cinder is a cyborg who lives in New Beijing. She is the best mechanic in town. She can fix almost anything, except the kingdom's epidemic. One day, Prince Ky comes to Cinder's Mechanic booth, and drops off his android. The Prince and Cinder really hit it off. She caught herself thinking about the prince often, and he was also interested in her. There is are some big problems though, he doesn't know she is a cyborg or that she is planning on running away from his country. There is a big twist, although predictable, that keeps the reader hooked. This book had some predictable moments, but I still got lost in the story. I loved this book, and I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

Spoilers:
I enjoyed this story a lot more than I thought I would. The whole cyborg thing really through me off. I loved the Cinderella references. I could not stand her stepmom. The author did a great job creating her family. I really enjoyed Peony. She was a breath of fresh air for Cinder. It crushed me when she got sick. I wish Cinder would have been able to save her. I actually did not think she was going to die. Once she got the antidote, I was literally yelling at Cinder to hurry up and get it to her.

Prince Ky was awesome. The first time we met him at Cinder's booth, I fell for him. He was such a nice and caring person. He has so much going on between his father's death and the visit with the Lunar Queen, that Cinder never tells him about her. I wish that Cinder would have at least told him about being Cyborg. The Lunar part was still new to her so I'm not blaming her for that one. The way the Prince interacted with Cinder was just adorable. He was so sweet. They are just the cutest little "thing." (I can't say couple even though that is totally what I'm wishing for)

I cannot stand the Lunar Queen. She is so terrible. She had the cure the whole time and just let Ky's father die. She is a cold hearted witch. I'm struggling with her character because I hate her but at the same time respect her because she is an awesome villain. Her powers are a bit weird. I can't wait to see what happens now that we are in the moon. Shots about to get real : )

I can't do a review without mentioning Iko. She is Cinder's android and my favourite character. I loved her personality. She is such a good friend to Cinder. I almost teared up when she was sold for parts. She was the perfect sidekick. I'm excited to see if she comes back in Scarlet.

Cinder is a Lunar. I was expecting it, but as I was reading I was in denial. I did not want it to be true. I felt so bad for Prince Ky at the end. How do you chose between your "love interest" and the fate of your country. I would have done the same thing. At least, we know that he has a plan to rescue her .

I'm ready to see what happens in book 2. I know it is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, and Scarlet is the main character. I read the summary and there is a Wolf. What? How? I'm intrigued. I hope we get to learn more about the Lunars.

Until next time,
Bre

No comments:

Post a Comment