Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Book Haul + First Line Feature : )

Hey guys! My orders finally came in from book outlet. I'm super excited. I also picked up some books at Wal-Mart, Target and Goodwill. I'm trying something new today, so you should let me know what you think. I will not only include the summary, but I will also feature the first line of each book. I figure that will give you a little more insight into the story, and it will be fun to see what they are. Let's get started : )







Click the book's title to read their summary. 

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
I'm sure everyone knows about this by now, but it is an adult fantasy book. It is the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire series.
"'We should start back,' Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them." -A Game of Thrones

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Life As We Knew It is a survival story that is written in journal entries by a sixteen year old girl. The moon gets hit by a meteor and knocks it closer to Earth. This changes everything. Earth starts experiencing earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and massive tidal waves across the globe.
"Spring, May 7th, Lisa is pregnant." - Life As We Knew It

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Tiger Lily is a young adult fairy tale retelling of Peter Pan. Instead of getting Peter Pan's point of view, Tinkerbell tells the story. We get a lot more of Tiger Lily 's back story and what Neverland was like before Wendy. Turns out, Tiger Lily and Peter Pan were head over heels for each other until Wendy came along.
"She stands on the cliffs, near the old crumbling stone house." -Tiger Lily

Looking for Alaska by John Green
Looking for Alaska follows the story of Miles "Pudgy" Halter's transition in a boarding school. He meets a girl named Alaska who lives down the hall from him. She is wild, sexy, and everything Pudgy is not. She changes his world forever.
"The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party." -Looking for Alaska

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Beautiful Disaster is a new adult novel that a lot of people have been raving about. Abby and Travis  are complete opposites. He is the bad boy type, and she is a good girl. They make a bet with each other, and neither of them could have ever imaged the consequences.
"Everything in the room screamed that I didn't belong." -Beautiful Disaster

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Anna Dressed in Blood is a creepy story of a boy named Cas who kills dead people. His father also killed the dead until one day he gets murder by a ghost. Cas is on a mission to find the ghost that killed his father, and hunt down a local ghost called Anna Dressed in Blood. Anna is an extremely dangerous ghost who kills anyone who enters her old house.
"The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway--no pun intended." -Anna Dressed in Blood

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Claire
This is the 5th book in The Mortal Instruments series. I have only read the first book, so I haven't read the summary of this one. I also don't want to read the first line because it could spoil me. If you haven't read this series yet, I highly recommend it.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Night Circus randomly arrives and is only open at night. There are no posters to let the towns know when it is coming or when it's leaving. The story follows two magicians, Celia and Marco, who are competing in a game where there can only be one winner. Celia and Marco end up falling in love with each other, but what will that do to the game?
"The man billed as Prospero the Enchanter receives a fair amount of correspondence via the theater office, but this is the first envelope addressed to him that contains a suicide note, and it is also the first to arrive carefully pinned to the cost of a five-year-old girl." -The Night Circus

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
I honestly don't know much about this book except for the main character, Alina, gets training from powerful people, and Shadow and Bone is the first book in The Grisha trilogy.
"The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest, and because they haunted the Duke 's house like giggling phantoms, darting in and out of rooms, hiding in cupboards to eavesdrop, snaking into the kitchen to steal the last of the summer peaches."-Shadow and Bone

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
This is the second book in The Grisha trilogy. Once again, I don't want to spoil myself, so I haven't read the summary.

Unwholly by Neal Shusterman
This is the second book in The Unwind trilogy. I LOVED Unwind. It is such a dark and twisted thriller. I ordered this copy from bookoutlet, and it was a scratch and dent copy. It came without the dust jacket, so I was pretty bummed until I opened it. Autographed Copy say what?!


Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
I love this book, and I talk about it way too much. Currently Reading : )
"I first discovered I was trash three days before my ninth birthday-- one year after my father lost his job and moved to Secaucus to live with a woman named Crystal and four years before my mother had the car accident, started taking pills, and began exclusively wearing bedroom slippers instead of normal shoes." -Dorothy Must Die

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
Another book I don't know too much about. I know Bernadette is a mom who is afraid of everything including people. Bee is her daughter who wants to plan a family vacation to Antarctica. That is all I know. There has been  a lot of hype over this adult book. I can't wait to read it. P.s. I found this hardback book in perfect condition for $2 at Goodwill. WHAT?
"The first annoying thing is when I ask Dad what he thinks happened to Mom, he always says, 'What's most important is for you to understand it's not your fault.'"-Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Until next time,
Bre






No comments:

Post a Comment