Monday, November 3, 2014

Septemeber & October Wrap Up:

Wrap Up:
# of books in September/October:  5
Read in 2014: 32

Challenges:
Books over 400 pages in September/October: 1
Books over 400 pages in 2014: 8
Classics: 0
Diverse Authors in September/October: 1
Diverse Authors in 2014: 3

September:

The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings
The Murder Complex takes place in a world where the death rate is higher than the birth rate. Meadow is trained by her father to protect her family in this cruel world. All of the training pays off because Meadow has to literally fight to get a job to help support her siblings. In town, Meadow runs into a boy named Zephyr and things start to get crazy. Zephyr is programmed by the government to assassinate whoever they need to get rid of. I am a fool for dystopian, so of course I LOVED this book. I read it really fast because I had to figure out what was going to happen next. It is a bloody, action packed dystopian that I would highly recommend.
Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
I enjoyed this book. All the catty drama was extremely over the top and unrealistic, but for some reason I loved it. Burn for Burn is told in three different perspectives. All three of the girls pick a person that have wronged them in the past and decide a revenge plan for each one. I will say it was predictable, but I still read it super fast. Overall, I would describe Burn for Burn as Mean Girls meets the O.C. & Mean Girls with a tad bit of Carrie mixed in.  
October:
The Diviners by Libba Bray
The Diviners is about a young girl, Evie, who moves to her uncle's house in New York in 1920, and while she is there a series of murders occur. Evie's uncle is recruited by the police to help with the murders, and Evie tags along. I don't want to spoil anything, so I don't want to give away too much. The 5 words I would use to describe this book are spooky, paranormal, mysterious, long (578 pages), dark.
 A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall
A Little Something Different is unique because it is told from 14 different viewpoints and none of them are from the couple. A few of the viewpoints are from Maxine, the waitress at the dinner Gabe and Lea always eat at, the bench they always sit on, a squirrel that sees them together all the time, a few of their close friends, the lost goes on.  I enjoyed the different perspectives in this book, but I wished we would have gotten more of Gabe and Lea together. It just seemed like the book was building to something awesome, and we did not get enough of the "awesomeness" that we had been waiting on. Overall, it was a cute, fluffy read. I recommend it if you are looking for something light and entertaining. 
Nightmares! by Jason Segel & Kirsten Miller
Nightmares! is a middle grade adventure story that will have you wishing you had more. It is about a young boy whose mother passed away and his father remarries. Charlie has a reoccurring nightmare that this witch is going to take his family from him, and he is certain the witch from his nightmares is his step mom. I loved Charlie. He was a great male lead that you couldn't help but root for. I also loved all the nightmares, but felt a few might be a little too creepy for middle grade readers. I highly recommend this story to anyone who loves spooky adventure stories with an awesome male lead.




I am currently reading Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White. I know this month I will be reading Fangirl and Mockingjay. What will you guys read in November? What did you read in October? How are your reading goals going? 

Until next time,
Bre



No comments:

Post a Comment