Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Book Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman







Publication: April 2010
Publisher: Speak
Pages: 262
Goodreads Rating: 3.99






"On a day that started like any other,

Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, admiring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. In an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left. It is the most important decision she'll ever make.

Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting, and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving." (Goodreads)

If I Stay was a wonderful book. The story focuses on Mia, her close knit family and her swoon-worthy boyfriend, Adam. The way the story is written it flashes back and forth between the past and the present. In the present, Mia and her family are involved in a horrible accident. Somehow Mia has an outer-body experience, and she can walk around and see how everyone is reacting to her family's accident while her body is in a medically induced coma. Her flashbacks of the past were my favorite part of the story. I loved her parents so much. They were awesome. I admired them so much. Adam was also a huge part of her flashbacks. We were able to learn about their relationship through them. He was my favorite character in the book. He was a phenomenal boyfriend to Mia. I was so relieved whenever I discovered that their relationship was healthy and stable. Often times in YA we are bombarded with dysfunctional teenage romances that will never work, but Mia and Adam were a breath of fresh air. I had to hold back tears a few times. From the start this story steals your heart and you will not get it back until you finish the last page.

There is a movie coming out based on this book on August 22. It stars Chloe Grace Mortez. You guys should check out the trailer. CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE TRAILER : )  I think I will try to do a book to movie adaption review. What do you guys think?

My rating of If I Stay:


Until next time,
Bre

No comments:

Post a Comment